2.07.2012

Old Leather and dead bugs

Part of my job working with archaeological collections is making sure that they are clean and stable for long term storage. That way they will live a longer and happier life for years to come.  Today I worked on a piece of leather that came from a site called The Red Barn.  The Red Barn is a significant site to the Tribe, a symbol of the beginnings of their cattle industry, independence, and prosperity.  It was recently listed on the National Register of Historic Places.


I spent the day slowly picking away dead cobwebs and bug carcasses, dirt and debris.  


yuck!


I gently brushed the surface and then added some tissue support.  


I still need to make a box, but for now this little piece of leather is mighty happy, and can now sit and remember back to it's youthful days of the 1940's.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That's really interesting what you get to do. No, I mean it!

    ReplyDelete