12.14.2009

Is this sanitary?

Today I was working in the lab, sorting through animal bone, pottery, and lithics and I came across a few objects I just wasn't sure what they were.  So without thinking twice, I licked them. 

You may think that this is an unsanitary practice in a "museum" setting.  And ingesting 1,000 year old dirt may cause some stomach issues.  It actually is quite shocking that I do this seeing I won't share any sort of utensil or glass, even with my twin sister.


However, it is an amazing and very scientific test.  In order to tell if something is bone, it will stick to your tongue.  If it is a lithic or some other mysterious object it will not.  I did know someone to lick a piece of coprolite thinking it was bone... (for those of you who don't know, coprolites are fossilized animal poo).  It did not stick to their tongue.

So if you are ever walking by an archaeologist or collection manager and they are sticking objects in their mouth, don't be alarmed, it's perfectly normal.

2 comments:

  1. sometimes I lick the childrens' tables and pencils...haha I would probably be dead in 10 seconds

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you, of all people do that, Miss finicky. You won't even try good food.

    ReplyDelete