12.16.2013

Weevil Hunting


Earlier this fall I had decided to liven up our flower box outside of the kitchen window.  I chose two different types of plants and they both took off growing and filling in the box, making the front of our home look much more inviting!  I've written before about my brown thumb, but I was so pleased to see these plants thriving and growing without much help from me.  

However, a few weeks ago I started to notice one of the plants was being eaten.  Large holes invaded the big green leaves and left them looking like swiss cheese.  Bobby and I investigated but couldn't seem to find anything.  

Then one night I came home and just happened to stop and take a look at my pathetic plants.  Thats when I noticed a beetle sitting on top of the leaves.  
The culprit.  

After about 30 minutes of googling combinations of descriptive words

"grey beetle, south florida"
"white and grey beetle with dark spots"
"gross beetle that is eating my plants!!!!!!"

I find out what it was.  A Weevil.

Sneaky little weevils eating my plants in the secret cloak of night. Tonight I quietly snuck out of the house at the oh so late hour of 7pm and watched as several weevils munched on my plants.  I felt no mercy as I smooshed them under the moonlight.

Maybe once I get this weevil population under control my lovely plants will come back to life.  Lets hope so because plastic plants would look pretty lame (although surprisingly not so uncommon in the beautiful state of Florida (:  )




1 comment:

  1. Your pesky pests are so Florida. Maybe there is something about plastic plants.

    ReplyDelete