3.08.2015

Morning in the Everlgades

Early morning drive through the Everglades

Morning Everglades
{by Yours Truly}

The car speeds west across the Glades
A blur of Cypress and Sawgrass blades
A million birds float through the air
And I sit and think and look and stare.

The sun is peeking behind my head
And the sky begins to glow and shed
Its darkened cape that hides the light
Of pink and lavender and orange and white.

The bright red rays dance across my face
As I watch the heron, full of grace
Flap his mighty wings and glide
Over the Sea of Grass so still and wide.

The tips of the grass shine like gold
As the morning light takes ahold
And breaks through the yellow, nebulous mist
Like the romantic compositions of Franz Liszt.

Out the window I catch a roseate spoonbill fly
Its pink feathers turning deep scarlet in the sky
So rare and lovely to see my friend
I'm giddy with joy as I watch her ascend.

I take long and lazy sips of coffee
The sun climbs higher, turning from red to toffee
I rest my head but keep my eyes wide
To count the gators that go floating by.



4 comments: