7.20.2015

The rain cometh and stay.


Afternoon storm one zillion and one.  


I've learned that although my rainbow umbrella is super cute, I need to invest in something a bit more rain proof..you know, like a plastic bubble.

In honor of rainy season I wanted to share a Seminole legend that I think of every time it rains.  This version was written down by a great storyteller and the first chairwoman of the tribe.


The little green frog was sitting on the edge of the water lilies sleeping away. A big ol' rabbit came hopping along, came upon the frog and said, "Hi there! Why are you sleeping? It's too pretty a day to sleep. Wake up! Wake up!" 

"I don't have to do anything," said the irritated little frog. But that pretty ol' pesky rabbit kept on until the little frog got really mad and told him, "I'll fix you up." 

So little frog started singing his funny little song or noise he makes to call the rain. Within a few minutes, the black cloud came and the wind started blowing. Then the rains came and soaked the ol' rabbit so much he got cold and ran home. 

Whenever you hear the frogs singing away today, better be near shelter, because they are warning you that rain is coming soon.

+
+
+
Sure enough though, out in the Everglades when I hear the orchestra begin of chirping and croaking from the frogs I know the rain is not far behind!

1 comment:

  1. Delightful story, but sorry you have a very rainy day.

    ReplyDelete