8.05.2010

Time disappears

I looked at my pretty Charlie Harper calendar on my office wall today.  I t s A u g u s t .  How is that possible!?  Where did the time go? 

It has been almost a year to the day that I got on a plane and flew to the unknown of South Florida to interview for a collection management position.  Its where I rented my first car, stayed alone in a hotel by myself and navigated the death highway I-95.  When I woke up in the morning of my interview my stomach was in knots.  I gave myself a pep talk,

"You are AWESOME!"  "They will LOVE you!"  "You are very good at what you do!"

I turned on the morning news and saw there was a rainstorm headed our way and got even more nervous.  Rain?  I'm not so sure about living in a state where it actually rains...

I made my way to the reservation, only slamming on my breaks twice to avoid a giant turtle and some lazy birds.  I called my twin sister.  Its strange because I have absolutely NO cell service on the reservation.  But for some reason on that day God knew I needed my little phone to work so my sister could tell me everything was going to be ok.

My interview only lasted for 25 minutes.  I felt I had done fine, not great.  I left the interview committee with why I wanted this job.  Something about how I had worked since I was in 7th grade to get to where I am today. 

I left feeling a little down.  Not sure if this was even the right place for me.  The middle of the Everglades.  The farthest away I could move from my family. But I knew I wanted the job--  It was a perfect fit.

On my plane ride back to Denver the next day I checked my messages during my layover in Kansas City.  I had a message from the HR guy asking me to call him back.  Oh no.  This could be bad.

HR: We'd like to offer you the position!
Me: YEA!!!!
HR: If you would like some time to think abou--
Me: NO I ACCEPT!

I sat by my gate making a million phone calls to everyone I knew.  First my parents, then my sisters.  Then Bobby.

Me: So guess what...I got the job!...so I'm probably going to have to move to Florida because the commute would be brutal
Bobby: Ok.  I'm coming with you! (thanks Bobby)

And so began my whirlwind journey to the hot and sweaty state of Florida.   


The view from my hotel room

2 comments:

  1. It seems like it has been the perfect fit for you. Granted it's a bit far away, but we have hope that one day you will be closer to all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I said to the HR guy when I got my job too. Why would I want to think about it?! What a silly question.

    ReplyDelete