1.15.2013

Family

The past few months I have been glued to the computer almost every single night searching and searching for my history.  I signed up for Ancestry.com back in November, hoping to find a few unknowns in my family tree.  Low and behold, a wealth of information unfolded in front of me and ever since I have been reconnecting with my ancestors.  

Family has always been so important to me.  My parents lead by example, always putting the family first.  Family dinner every night.  Family vacations at least twice a year.  Family game nights, family evening walks.  I am dedicated to keeping the bonds of my family tight, and my sisters and I have made powerful promises to always stay close.  Even with me living 2,000 miles away, I feel close to my family.

Digging around old "dusty" records has introduced me to so many different feelings.  By learning the most simplest of facts--a date of birth, an address-- I feel strangely connected to those I never knew.  I sit and think about me and them.  Without them I would not be here.  I feel like I owe my ancestors something and so I've taken it upon myself to document what I find and then turn it over to my family, even if its just for a small  sense of appreciation for who have come before us.  I want my little niece and nephew to know their roots.  I want my grandchildren to know their heritage.  Must be my "museum" side of me bursting through, wanting very much to capture the past and preserve it. I don't want it to be forgotten.  

I'm sure many people go on with their lives, never knowing where they came from.  Maybe it doesn't make a difference.  Maybe it doesn't always influence the decisions we make or the path we take.  But I have a sense of comfort and joy knowing that I carry traits and characteristics of my grandparents and even great grandparents.  To know that my nose and eye shape and maybe even my musical skills came from someone down the line makes me smile.  I see it even within my sister's children and am always in awe of what can be passed on from parent to child. 

So here's to family.  To knowing who you are (for better or worse :) and appreciating who has paved the way for us.

  The Redente Clan, Thanksgiving 2012

2 comments: