6.03.2010

Art Museums

A few people from work recently returned from the American Association of Museums annual conference.  This year it was held in L.A.  Unfortunately I wasn't able to make it but I got a chance to talk to some co-workers to see how it was.

Me: "How was L.A.?"
Co-worker: "It was good"
Me: "They have awesome museums!  Did you go to the Getty?"
Co-worker: "NO! I HATE art museums!"
Me: "oh"

I can't believe they didn't go to the Getty!  One of the best museums in the U.S.  Now yes, they did have some legal/ ethical issues a few years ago, but that doesn't take away the amount of amazing art they have.  I guess I'm biased because I was lucky enough to work in an art museum and walk around beautiful and interesting art all day long.  I got to pull out the Monet's and Renoir's for my friends and family and be in heaven walking around the Renaissance and Modern art during lunch. 

As a museum professional I hope that I can appreciate all types of museums.  I work with bone and pottery all day, but I'm still in love with what I do!  How can you love anthropology or history museums but not art museums?  How can you only appreciate what people made 1,000's of years ago but not what people have made over the last 300 years? 

How our conversation should have gone:

Me: "They have awesome museums!  Did you go to the Getty?"
Co-worker: "NO! I HATE art museums!"
Me: "Well maybe they hate you!"

Ok... so I've never been great with comebacks but I will say that all museums are near and dear to my heart.

1 comment:

  1. You should check out the other museums in your area. I bet there are some.

    ReplyDelete