6.09.2010

Stupid BP

Ok here I go.  I'm not the first to rant about the oil spill and I know I won't be the last.  My office has been working around the clock with federal agencies including NPS and the Coast Guard to try and solve some MAJOR potential problems.  Yes, the oil spill is effecting the environment, the economy, the fragile balance of wildlife.  It could cause an immense amount of damage and contamination if a hurricane blows through, not to mention the fact that it is showing the downfall of government policy and procedures.

However, with all of those immediate issues, there is one that not many have thought about.  The potential effect on cultural resources like archaeological sites, burials, shipwrecks, ceremonial sites, the Trail of Tears, medicinal plant gathering areas... (should I go on?).  The damage that the oil and oil cleanup could have on all of these things is scary.  My office is working to make sure that federal agencies will comply with the law and that they are aware of not only the importance of the preservation of these sites but making sure that they are including tribal communities in these decisions.  My boss is at the white house this week making sure the Tribe has a voice in this disaster. For example, the oil spill could potentially destroy the livelihood and cultural identity of the Houma Tribe in Louisiana...but that's what do best right?  Nothing like a little repeat of history.

I would just like to congratulate the guilty parties for taking their time in dealing with one of our worst environmental, economical and cultural emergencies. I'm glad you've stepped up and made an effort. Not only have you pointed the blame at everyone else but have also allowed Kevin Costner to brainstorm possible solutions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment