7.13.2010

the new guy

The first time I met my boss I was a little scared.  I had heard so much about him and wanted to make a good impression.  I remember sitting at my desk as he walked into my office.  As I started to rise from my chair to shake his hand he slapped a post-it onto my desk and walked away.

Ummm...that could have gone better

I looked down to read, "RUN AWAY WHILE YOU STILL CAN!"

Hmmmm...this could be going better

Turns out my boss is great!  After he gave me the post-it, he came back in and pulled out a HUGE knife and asked if I wanted to become blood brothers...but thats another story for another day.  He is one of the smartest people I've ever met and he knows everything about anything.  His passion, besides archaeology, is music.  If you would like to see the day fly by tell him you play the guitar. 

Recently the office hired 5 new field techs.  The other day one of them was saying how he hadn't met the boss yet.  A co-worker told him that our boss likes to talk about music. 

Today I listened as the new guy walked up to our boss and introduced himself.  Then he did the unthinkable.   "I play the guitar".  That was it.  He was trapped for the next 8 hours.  My boss pulled him outside during lunch and got out his African Talking Drum from the backseat and played for him in the parking lot.  Then my boss had him sit in his car while he cranked up the Haitian and Cuban island music.  At 4pm they met again at the copy machine where they discussed their favorite guitar makers and bands.

My co-workers and I laughed silently to ourselves as we watched the new guy try and fit in.  We have all been there, trying to impress the boss.  My office door looks out into the main area of the office where the copy machine is.  I see everyone pass by.  I like to sometimes sit and figure out the quirks of the office.  My office just happens to be filled with music lovers.  It is sometimes a nice change of pace from downtown Denver as we sit at lunch and listen to the island music wafting from the parking lot, watching the palm trees sway.

2 comments: