7.25.2010

Oh Florida

With all the joys that Florida brings to my life, it really overdid itself last week.  We had an all staff meeting and my boss sat us all down with a very serious face.  After explaining the Tropical Storm situation he says,

Boss: The THPO for the Miccosukee tribe just called and said his field crew has contracted Dengue Fever.
Us: lots of loud commotion and people looking really scared.
Co-worker: I've heard its like Ebola!!
Me: (thinking to myself) hmmm..I read the Hot Zone in 7th grade and I'm pretty sure the Ebola virus makes you bleed black goo from your eyeballs.

For those of you who don't have to worry about scary tropical viruses...Dengue Fever is spread by mosquitoes and causes 105 fevers, rashes, vomiting and other really terrifying symptoms that I won't list as to not scare my mom. 

Our field crew has been restricted to work in areas without water, which may be difficult seeing we work in the Everglades.  I'll make sure to spray myself down with 100% deet before eating my lunch outside with the beautiful Florida nature.

1 comment: