1.28.2011

Brown Thumb

I have never been able to keep any plants alive when I try.  It is only when I forget about them for long periods of time do they seem to grow and turn green.  My older sister gave me a bamboo in college and it lived for 5 years until I remembered about it on my bookcase and then it died.  I've bought several beautiful house plants that have perished within weeks.  I talk to them, move them in the sunlight, water them when I'm supposed to and to no avail, the leaves start falling off one at a time in dead brown heaps.

There is a miracle happening on my T.V. stand.  Two weekends ago I had to work the South Florida Fair because my work had a booth to show off the fanciness that is archaeology.  At some point during the day a little kid left his treasures of free stuff at our booth and I found it as I was leaving to go home.  A cup with a smiley face stared back at me full of dirt.  I read the side and it said that inside were sunflower seeds to grow.  All they needed was some sun and water.  Sunflowers are my favorite flowers so I decided to take it home.

Needless to say I forgot about the little cup until last week when I saw 2 big green shoots  popping out of the dirt!  Today there are 5.  I've been fascinated by these little sunflowers, growing so fast and big.  I need to go buy a pretty pot for them and then I will casually forget about them until I have big yellow flowers sunning themselves by the window.

1 comment:

  1. You'd better hurry with the pot and a couple of sticks to hold up the plant, those little seeds are going to get a little crowded.

    ReplyDelete