1.30.2011

Tamarac Cinema 5

The $3 movie theater down the street is a popular weekend activity.  They show older movies but hey, I'd rather wait 3 months and pay $3 then pay $12.  The only down side to the Cinema 5 theater is that I am the youngest one there by 60 years.  They all just go to go, a nice weekend jaunt down the street to see their friends.  The theater was packed when I saw Social Network.  Pretty sure none of them even knew what Facebook was.

The man who takes the tickets always thanks us for coming, telling us its nice to see young faces and that he's glad he doesn't have to explain things twice.

Today my friend Jessica and I went to see a movie.  The entire time the little old ladies around us whispered to one another, not understanding parts of the movie, or pointing out scenes they liked or disliked... mostly what they disliked.  Oh and let me clarify, whispering = talking really really loud.  Someone's cell phone went off half way during the movie, but of course the owner of the phone didn't hear it, but Jessica and I did and the lady behind us.

"Is there music playing somewhere? Do you hear that?  Where is that music coming from?  Is it in the movie?"


Leaving the theater usually takes 20 minutes.  Those with walkers and canes slowly waddle up the aisle, walking in a zig zagged line so there isn't a single chance I could slip past them.  Once I'm out of the theater I dash to my car, hoping to get out of the parking lot before everyone else starts driving 2 mi/hr.


My friend and I always laugh to each other.  Sometimes we can't believe that we actually live in Florida, a sea of gray and Oldsmobile's. $3 will get you a movie and a glimpse at your future at Cinema 5.

3 comments: