1.21.2011

Outside girl

Today I went to lunch with my boss, a visiting professor, and two co-workers. We went to the Olive Garden.  Just kidding!  Sorry. It's a running joke in the office, always throwing out restaurant names when asked where people are going for lunch.  There are only 3 places to eat on the Rez, and unfortunately the Olive Garden is not one of them.

We went to Billie Swamp Safari.  As we were finishing up lunch the rain came.  Pouring from the sky, an instant storm.  I sat looking out the window, watching a giant alligator slowly shift his legs, letting the rain pound down on his back.  He then tilted his head up towards the sky and opened his mouth as wide as he could.  Everyone at the table started making up reasons for why his great big mouth was open.

"He is stretching his mouth out so he can eat you later!"
"That was a giant yawn- he must be tired!"

I personally thought it was because he was enjoying the rain.  Letting the cool water into his mouth.  Looking up into the rainy sky and thinking "yes. finally.  relief from this heat."

On our way out to the parking lot, we had to navigate through 3 inch deep puddles.  I carefully stepped around the water and then to my dismay saw a river running between me and the car.  Everyone hopped across and then they all stared waiting to see what I would do.  I jumped, of course landing on the edge of the puddle and soaking my pant leg.  My boss called out, "Great job Kate! You're ready for the field!"  I am not known around the office to be an outside girl. 

We are hosting a 20 day field school this summer at Billie Swamp Safari and I will be there the whole time teaching students in a field lab.  I will prove to everyone that I am not a wimp outside.  I will not cringe when I hear a flying insect go by my head.  I will not scream if I see a spider the size of my face.  I won't panic if I encounter a panther or other large wild animal (i.e. water buffalo, ostriches, -not all animals at Billie Swamp are native!).  I won't worry that my hair is ruined by the humidity, sweat, and dirt.  I will be the alligator, enjoying the torrential down pour.

 Wildlife at Billie Swamp: Wildlife at Field School


3 comments:

  1. haha! good jumping skills....I think it is all related to that one field day and the long jump...

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes. getting last place in the long jump has helped me tremendously!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would secretly like to be there and see you in action. That is, not running away from low buzzing insects or jerking in fear from what you thought you might have seen.

    ReplyDelete