1.14.2011

Caterpillars: Friend or Foe?

Warning: Blog Contains pictures of insects :)

A few months ago I was walking the boardwalk and saw something out of the corner of my eye.  It was a caterpillar slowly inching its way on the boardwalk banister.  It was nothing like I had ever seen before.  It was tear-dropped shaped and looked like Cousin It.  Its long silky beige hair was so pretty and it looked so cute!  I poked at it with a stick and then talked myself out of actually touching it.

 blurry picture from my phone...

A better picture from the internet
I looked it up when I got back to my desk and to my horror found out what it was!  A Puss Caterpillar, one of the most toxic caterpillars in North America.  Good thing my girl scout instinct kicked in and I didn't touch it.  Underneath its fury and cute appearance are venomous spines that cause unbearable pain that generally shoot to your chest in minutes.  Awesome. You should see what it actually turns into.  A hairy brown and orange moth.

Please don't ever let me see this.

Everyone else at work has seen very dangerous animals on the boardwalk-Black Bears, Bobcats, Panthers, Snakes.  All I get to see is a dangerous caterpillar.

I also saw this lovely thing the other day.  What a crazy life, to be neon green with a red racing stripe.  I refrained from touching him too.

3 comments:

  1. I can't believe you almost TOUCHED IT! Don't touch anything in the everglades geez...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good advice. Don't touch anything!!!!!

    ReplyDelete