2.05.2011

Hello Mrs. Ostrich

Friday we went to a site visit of where we are going to hold our field school this summer.  I had such a good time and I got to break in my snake boots.  Extreme definition of casual Friday.  My job was to find a perfect spot for the field lab.  We had to make sure it was on high enough ground because the field school starts at the beginning of the rainy season.  It was pretty unreal being out in the swamp.  I live in two separate worlds.  Modern Suburbia and Prehistoric suburbia.  I think its going to be a great field school, as long as I don't get bitten by a rattle snake.  

 Core Field School Staff: Off to find the site!


 Discussing logistics with Jake


 Lemon Tree!


On our way back to the swamp buggy (our mode of transportation) we all stopped dead in our tracks.  A giant female ostrich was investigating the buggy.  She was almost 8 feet tall and her legs were ginormous.  They are known to be very aggressive and like to kick.  Jake, who runs Billie Swamp, tried scaring it away by throwing some sticks at it (although he did have his rifle just in case).  She wandered away for about 2 seconds and then she decided she wasn't ready to leave.  We all quickly climbed back up onto the buggy (my heart pounding), and watched as she started investigating us.  Not a typical Friday.

 She seemed annoyed that we were in her spot.


Hello

1 comment:

  1. Glad you had your swamp buggie to get into for protection. She was close.

    ReplyDelete