5.13.2011

Archaeology Day!

Who doesn't love archaeologists?  I mean come on, we dig up dinosaur bones and lost treasure.  Oh wait, that's Indiana Jones, the paleontologist.

This week we hosted ARCHAEOLOGY DAY! A day for school children to learn all about the exciting world of archaeology.  I'm still exhausted and it was two days ago.  I really don't know who invented school field trips.  The poor teachers looked like they were about to cry.  
I'm pretty sure the 350 little 4th and 5th graders took the following things away from ARCHAEOLOGY DAY!

1.  Archaeology is hot
2.  Archaeology is dirty
3.  Archaeology has lots and lots of bugs
4.  Archaeology is a lot of hard work
5.  Archaeology does not necessarily mean you will find buried treasure

When a little girl was asked what she thought of archaeology before ARCHAEOLOGY DAY! her answer was "Boring".  When she was asked what she thought of archaeology now that she has seen what Real Live Archaeologists do she said, "Only kind of boring".  Our work here is done.

I spent the day straining my voice above the chaos, comforting little girls who were crying because of the bugs, trying to make 5th graders think artifacts are cool, and sweating like there was no tomorrow.  It was only 98 degrees.

 Learning about Excavations!

 My station: Artifact Analysis.  Maybe I should have called it Awesome Artifacts...



Calm before the storm.

2 comments: