6.14.2011

Finito

Today was the last day of field school.  sigh
I have 10 new bug bites since this morning and a bruise on my shin the size of my fist, but I am snake bite free and all snuggled into my pajamas and ready for a good nights sleep.  

I really don't think I've ever been so physically and emotionally tired.  I couldn't even form a coherent sentence when I got back to the office. 

All evidence of our field school has been removed.  The Everglades Tree Island can resume its normal function of inhabiting its thick green vegetation and creepy crawlies.  The plants will continue to soak up the warm Florida sun and thick humidity.  The cows that live in the nearby pasture will once again unknowingly roam through a 5,000 year old archaeological site.  We too will go back to our normal routine of typing away at our computers and getting caught up in the office drama.  
My boss and I were the last ones to leave the site today.  As we walked away, I turned back to give one final look.  For an instance I could imagine life 5,000 years ago.  A group of people moving through the everglades in their prehistoric canoe routes.  Finding this perfect tree island full of food and shelter.  A breeze rustled through the canopies and it was so quiet and peaceful with the morning sun shimmering through the leaves.  I can see why someone would have lived here.

  Reservation at Sunset

1 comment:

  1. Sorry that you had more bug bites, but GLAD you avoided the snakes. Pretty sunset. Sleep tight.

    ReplyDelete