6.27.2011

Afternoon Showers Bring A Lot Of Puddles

Rainy Season has officially begun.  It has rained every single afternoon for the past week and the first tropical disturbance is lingering in the Gulf of Mexico.  


I took a break from my glaring computer this afternoon and stepped outside into the humid air.  The temperature had dropped about 10 degrees and the wind was starting to pick up.  This could only mean one thing:   The rain was coming.  I could see the dark clouds over the Everglades starting to pile into a massive sea of grays, blacks, blues, and purples.  The white Ibis were flying overhead, probably trying to find a place to take cover.  They stood out against the rumbling sky.  I stepped back inside as I heard the first distant thunder.  Within minutes, the heavens opened up and all I could see outside the window was torrential rain.   
The smell of rain is one of my most favorite smells.  Its so earthy and clean.  I like that it smells the same in every state.  The plants are soaking up the rain and everything is a vibrant green.  Summer is here in South Florida.

2 comments:

  1. tell the hurricanes to stay away until after I visit

    ReplyDelete
  2. All that rain does make everything look very green.

    ReplyDelete