6.19.2011

My Dad

What a weekend of celebrations!  
Happy Father's Day to my amazing Dad!

At church today they had a panel of 5 dads, all in different stages of life.  One of the dads with older children said something that I liked.  He said that now that his kids are grown and out of the house he isn't really a "parent" anymore.  He doesn't discipline or have to set consequences.  He doesn't set boundaries or try and teach what is right and wrong.  He has become a friend, a mentor, and advisor to his children.  

That's how I feel about my dad.  He is my best mentor.  I go to him for all my advice and I try my hardest to follow in his footsteps.  This usually requires at least one phone call a week with a question about work, finances, or my car.  I'm not sure if my sisters and I annoy my dad with all of our "life" questions: 

"Hi Daddy.  I just spilled water on the counter and it dripped into the wall outlet and then there was this really horrible crackling noise and now it smells like burning and I can't figure out which breaker switch to turn off and..." 
But if we do, my dad never shows it.  He is patient and understanding, even with all of my mini crises 2,000 miles away.

Snuggling: Christmas 2006

2 comments: