8.19.2011

University of Virginia

When I was in 6th grade, my parents took us on vacation to the east coast.  We spent time exploring D.C. and all of the Smithsonian's, visiting Gettysburg, staying in a cabin in the woods of Virginia.  We saw Monticello and Mount Vernon.  While in Virginia I remember visiting the University of Virginia.  Thomas Jefferson's old stomping grounds.  We walked around the campus and I remember sneaking into an empty classroom and my dad pretending to be our professor.



I got to visit UVA again this weekend.  My friend's wedding was just 10 minutes away so we walked around awhile before the ceremony.  It was beautiful.  Very collegiate.  Pillars and ivy and old brick buildings.  We wandered through "The Lawn" which is were undergraduates can live.  One of the students was moving into her room and she showed us around.  It was like stepping back in time a few hundred years.  Every room comes with a secretary desk, a working fireplace, and dark wood molding. Oh and don't forget the rocking chair. 


There is a list in every room where you can find the name of everyone who has lived in that room.  It went all the way back until 1896!


 
The Lawn




2 comments: