11.15.2011

Its OK


Today I overheard someone in a neighboring department saying something mean about me.  The funny thing (if any part of this is actually funny) is that it wasn't even true.  This person was so worked up about something that was incredibly ridiculous. My boss and I overheard the whole thing.  
My boss: "Do you want me to go tell her to stop?"
Me: "No thanks"  (that would be even more embarrassing)

I let it roll off my shoulders for the rest of the day, proud of myself for developing such a tough skin.  I have to deal with enough confrontations at work that I was glad I wasn't going to worry about this. 
The minute I got home of course I couldn't hold it in anymore.  I called Bobby on his way to work and felt the sadness and madness come up as I re-told him how I sat in my office and overheard someone publicly not like me.  I held it together though and didn't let a single tear escape.

Then I called my twin sister, just like I do every day.
"Hi"
"Hi"
"What's wrong?"
"Sniff...."
She let me vent and get teary.  She then told me to do something about it if I was so upset. Let that person know that it wasn't nice what they said.  We like to boost each other up, always telling the other to be brave and walk right up to the situation and put it in it's place.  We both know that we would never actually do it, but it usually makes us feel better to fantasize about speaking our mind.  Then we always ask, "What would Daddy do?"  

My dad is our work hero! He always knows the right thing to say and is an amazing boss, highly respected, well-liked, and scary (all at the same time)!
We came to the conclusion that he would have said to just let it go.  That I shouldn't waste another minute worrying about it because it doesn't matter.  That the person will not get far in life for putting others down.  That those 30 minutes I spent upset were 30 minutes I could have used to be productive with my day.
So its OK.  
I'm OK.

 Hakuna Matata

5 comments:

  1. i can't even believe someone would say something mean about you. are you trying to play a late april fools trick? xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're my hero, I don't think I could have said Hakuna Matata!

    ReplyDelete
  3. don't worry we LOVE LOVE LOVE YOU!!!! ~Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Daddy says he needs more details, who, what, why. Give him a call. mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you have more of your daddy in you than you realize! You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete