1.29.2010

Experiment Time

I have two degrees, a bachelors in Anthropology and a Masters in Museum Science.  However, even though they sound super scientific they are a BA and an MA.  I've often heard my interest of study refered to as a "soft" science.  Ok, I know that I am not a rocket scientist by any means but sometimes I get to do science experiments!  One of the projects at work is cataloging artifacts from the field school that was held this summer.  The students were trying to relocate a 19th century Third Seminole War Fort.  We have a lot of really neat objects, but several of the metal artifacts we have are a mystery because they had deteriorated beyond recognition within the ground.  So we decided to do some metal analysis in order to figure what the objects were made of. 

We ran three tests: lead, iron, and copper

Our results will hopefully help use narrow down what these mystery obejcts once were!  Bill Nye the Science Guy would be proud of me.

Finding tiny flakes to remove to test the surface




Juan assisted us (I know I'm Italian but my arms aren't that hairy!) 
Testing the object for copper. 


 

1 comment:

  1. I was worried that you might electrolysis! Pretty funny!

    ReplyDelete