1.17.2010

Rez Rally

Yesterday morning was Rez Rally.

Rez Rally is an annual 5k that the Seminole Tribe puts on to help promote health and diabetes awareness.  This year it was hosted by the Brighton Reservation, which means I had to wake up at 3:30 in the morning.

You all may be shocked that I did a 5k, but let me clarify that I walked it!  I carpooled with some co-workers, which made the drive a little more bearable, except when one of them kept yelling "REZ RALLY!!" every 10 minutes.  Remember that it's 5 in the morning.

I don't usually like doing this kind of thing.  I don't like pep rally bonding time.  I never participated in school spirit and am always embarassed when everyone becomes best friends over things like this.  But I thought I should go and see what it was all about.

I ended up having a good time!  The Brighton reservation is beautiful, and the trail we walked was lined with thick hammocks of palm trees, Spanish moss, and pine trees.  It was nice to be part of a bigger cause, helping the tribe fight diabetes.  It was the first time I had been around tribal members from the other reservations and it was interesting to see the Seminole Tribe as a whole.  

We got some awesome participation prizes, one being a gift card for new Nike shoes!  I'm not sure if I will do it next year.  Who knows, maybe I'll try to run it!


Brighton Reservation- 6:30am


THPO- Each Reservation wore a different color. BC was black


Carpool team- Katy and Juan



 
Juan and Andrew- Andrew placed 5th



Doesn't it usually say Dogs?


My favorite- the Spanish Moss


The Red Barn on the Reservation- listed on the National Register

1 comment:

  1. It's always fun to see where you are and what you are doing.

    ReplyDelete