5.09.2010

The Forts of Florida

The past few weeks I've had the chance to explore some new cities of Florida for work.  The history of Florida is made up of military occupation and war Forts.  Two in particular: Fort Myers and Fort Pierce, both Seminole War Forts.

I went up to Fort Pierce to visit their local county museum to view some of the Seminole War collections.  It is located right on the water with a beautiful view of the Atlantic Ocean. 

The museum, a historic house

Not a bad view!

This weekend I went to Fort Myers on the west coast for the Florida Anthropological Society annual conference.  Some of my co-workers were presenting and it was good to get out and support the office.  There was a banquet last night and the key note speaker was a famous Florida anthropologists/researcher/curator.  I got to sit next to him at dinner!  His talk was on an incredible collection of photographs of South Florida taken by a father and son during the turn of the century.  We had a wonderful view of the sunset over the Caloosahatchee River which feeds into the Gulf of Mexico.

  


 Its been fun to see the different coasts and explore South Florida.  Maybe next time for work I'll be sent to the Bahamas...

1 comment:

  1. I hope you are. If you need a friend to go with you just let me know.

    ReplyDelete