5.06.2010

You can do IT!

The other day when driving home from work the wildlife was very active.  There were birds flying left and right, barely missing our windshield.  There was a 6 foot gator on the side of the canal waiting for some dinner.  A huge wild turkey was standing on the side of the road and as soon as we got close it spastically ran out into the road with his long legs trying to get him across as quickly as possible.  After almost having wild turkey for dinner we saw something large and dark starting to move across the road.  It was a huge leather back turtle who had just decided that it was safe enough for him to cross the road.  I just wonder what was so important on the other side of the road.  Is the canal nicer?  Is the grass tastier?  What was so important that he was taking such a huge risk against speedy Florida drivers?  My co-worker slammed on the breaks and swerved, barely missing him.  We all sighed in relief, but then realized the poor thing was not out of danger yet.  We looked in the rear view mirror as another car off in the distance was approaching fast.

"HURRY!!!! HURRY turtle!!!

He was sloooowly reaching the middle of the road..."MOVE YOUR LEGS FASTER!!! HURRY!!!"

I was turned completely around in the car, shouting in vain through the back window as we moved farther away from him.  There was a bend in the road and then I couldn't see him anymore.  I felt sad, so sure that he had gotten smooshed.

The next day I over heard somebody from my car pool talking about the turtle to another co-worker.  She replied, "Oh yeah!  We saw him.  He was just crossing the road into the grass"

I quietly walked away with a big smile on my face knowing the turtle had made it.  Hopefully the alligator didn't eat him.

No comments:

Post a Comment