7.20.2012

Friday Music Pick

I was born in 1984 and even though I was only 6 when the 80's ended, it is still a decade that I enjoy.  I love the music and the movies.  The "comfy" clothes and the carefree attitude the 80's seem to hold onto.  When my twin sister and I were 5 or 6, we received a present at our birthday party.  It was a mini cassette player called a Pocket Rocker that came with 5 tiny tapes that each played two songs (all different neon colors of course!). There was a cassette with two songs by Tiffany, the Ghostbusters song, the Monkees Theme Song, and a few others I can't remember. 



Several  years ago my sister and I were in the car with our then boyfriends, when a song came onto the radio that sounded a bit familiar.  We both turned to each other and said "This is the song!"
It was the song we loved on our Pocket Rocker.  The one we played over and over again, more than any of the other songs.  The neon green cassette.  Bobby and Martin looked confused, clearly not understanding this monumental discovery!

Song: Everybody Wants to Rule the World
Artist: Tears for Fears
Album: Songs from the Big Chair



This cassette also played "Shout" which is another great song by Tears for Fears. Every time I hear this song I can remember sitting at the top of the stairs with all the little colorful cassettes spread out on the blue carpet, popping them into the cassette player and listening to the music.  We were too little to even know who these pop sensations like Tiffany were at the time, but we did know that everybody wants to rule the world and it made us happy to hit that rewind button over and over again!  

1 comment:

  1. Haha I can't believe you found this!! Makes me feel happy listening to it :)

    ReplyDelete