10.01.2012

Good-bye Cornelius

The Macuen family's hearts are heavy today as our little family of three became two again.  Our dear little Cornelius escaped yesterday through a little hole in the screened-in porch. Bobby went out to feed him in the late morning, but couldn't find him.  He would escape from his tank periodically and wander about the back porch, but we always found him hiding behind the big green fern.  This time we couldn't find him.  

We searched and searched for him on the porch and then extended our search to the overgrowth of tropical plants behind our house. After awhile I went in side and called my sister to tell her the news.  Bobby stayed outside, continuing his search under the leaves and tangled vines.  He went back out at least 4 more times throughout the day hoping he would see our little Cornelius.  On his last search he came back to the porch and did one last look in the corners and behind the big green fern.  I watched him from inside, knowing that he didn't want to give up.  He slowly walked over to the little water fall in Cornelius' tank and unplugged it.

We felt a little lost yesterday.  Just sitting on the couch, not knowing what to do.  How would such a tiny little turtle survive in the big scary world?  Will he find food?  Will he find a nice cool pond?  We can only hope that he will be ok. I keep telling myself that maybe he will be happier in the wild and find a nice friend.  

When I first brought him home almost a year ago his shell was the size of a silver dollar.  Over the months he grew bigger and stronger.  He had come a long way from when he was rescued in my co-worker's swimming pool.  I am glad that we had the chance to be his parents for a while. I think there will always be a little Cornelius sized hole in both of our hearts.

We will miss you dearly!

   

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry :( He did have wonderful parents who took such great care of him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry. He is the cutest turtle i have ever seen. You make him strong for his new adventure! ~Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete