1.04.2014

Winter Bliss

I woke this morning to a drizzle and a sea of grey clouds covering the Florida sunshine while my family reported snow and more snow back in Colorado.  I have to admit, its been nice to feel the humidity and warmth on my skin since we've been back from our trip home.  Each night Bobby and I would huddle under the massive pile of quilts on the bed, shivering and trying to remember how to live again in a "normal" winter.  


Everyone laughs and makes fun of us (especially Bobby who grew up in the mountains) for our thin blood and quick adjustment to warmer weather.  

I forgot that the toilette seat is always freezing cold when you sit down and that you have to wear socks 24 hours a day.  I forgot that my lips get chapped and I can drink hot chocolate in the middle of the day.  I forgot that you have to warm up your car at least 5 minutes before getting in and that wearing ballet flats is asking for a slip and fall.  I forgot that my teeth can chatter and my skin can withstand the hottest setting on the shower.  I forgot that when its a high of 45 degrees people will be outside in shorts!

But I also forgot what it felt like to wake up and see a fresh layer of snow on the ground and hear how quiet and hushed the world is.  I forgot that with the right angle of light your backyard becomes a sea of diamonds and the snow can capture little moments with frozen footprints.

On Christmas morning my internal clock was still adjusted to Florida time and I got up at the ungodly hour of 4:45 am.  I snuck upstairs, turned on the Christmas tree lights and stared outside the window for a long time.  As my eyes adjusted to the darkness, I looked out across the snowy fields with the tall shadows of the mountains behind them.  I was thankful to be home, even if I did end up freezing to death.

:)

My sister made this wonderful video today and I wished for just a few minutes I was with them, playing in the glittering, sparkling snow.  But then again, I am secretly glad that when I get chilly I can just turn off my ceiling fan.




1 comment: