3.29.2014

The other side

Before I moved to Florida I thought the state consisted of two areas.  The beach and Disney World.  And although my dad had brought me to the Everglades for a day trip once when visiting my Grandma, it rarely entered my mind as a significant part of Florida.  

I've been able to travel a lot in and around the state and I have discovered, like most states I think, that there is a whole other world that out-of-towners don't know about.  


I drive through the "country" often when going from one reservation to the next; where sugar cane and cattle are abundant, small towns and mobile home communities dot the landscape, and of course where all the state penitentiaries are.  Its an entirely different atmosphere and vibe from busy Fort Lauderdale and Miami and a much slower pace of life.  You have everything from rednecks, to South American immigrants, to Crackers (native Floridians), to just good old sweet country folk.  


And while I don't think I could ever call this quiet neck of the woods home, I enjoy its sense of static existence and its silent yearning of days past.   

1 comment: