9.22.2014

America

I'm feeling quite patriotic these days.  And if you know me, that usually only happens on the 4th of July with firecrackers overhead and cherry pie in my tummy.

I have a good friend who is about to help her boyfriend, Juan, celebrate a monumental moment in his life.

He is becoming a U.S. citizen on Friday. 

The last month has been a horrible and scary journey for them, with a threatening USCIS officer who was trying to get him deported.  I felt for my friend everyday, who wondered and stressed about what the outcome would be.  Her boyfriend moved to the United States from Columbia when he was 10, and is an educated, hardworking airline pilot.  We couldn't believe what was happening.

Thankfully Juan heard good news last week and everything has all worked out.  Bobby and I went to their house last night to help celebrate that his Oath of Allegiance ceremony had been scheduled.  We drank refajos (beer and Coumbiana soda) and ate Columbian hotdogs (hotdogs, pineapple, "fancy sauce", cheese, and potato chips!).  And even as the rain beat against the windows, it did nothing to dampen everyone's spirits.  We already have talked about throwing the ultimate American themed party once his ceremony is over!

Last year I came across a wonderful discovery during my family research project.  My great grandmother's naturalization record.  There, on a tiny index card was her signature from May 8th, 1939. 



I can't imagine what she must have felt when signing her name or pledging her allegiance to a brand new country.  Did she feel a little bit sad?  Was she overcome with joy?  I am thankful for my great-grandparents coming here.  For making incredible sacrifices, leaps of faith, and for leaving everything they knew for a dream.   

It is something most of us take for granted everyday.  Watching Juan go through this journey has been inspiring and a reminder that so many still believe in the opportunities of this country.  

1 comment: