8.11.2012

Weekend Plans

This weekend I am clearing my head.
It was a hard week and my brain and heart are exhausted.  

Often times I think about taking up meditation or yoga.  I think I would benefit from gaining such powerful control over my mind and body.  But until then, I continue to visit my special place at work to be alone for a few minutes to re-evaluate, to think, and to listen.  The boardwalk hasn't seen my presence in awhile.  The heat has driven me away and I prefer to keep my hair as straight as possible for as long as possible without any added humidity. 

Yesterday I needed just a few minutes of calm and I headed out to my spot on the mile long boardwalk. As  I hit the halfway mark I felt a raindrop hit my arm and then a few more.  I looked up and could see the dark clouds above through the canopy and realized a storm was coming in fast.  I picked up my pace, knowing that there was no shelter from here to the end of the boardwalk.  And then without any sympathy the sky opened up. I darted under the only semi-dry spot, where a few trees from opposite sides of the walkway touched overhead, creating an umbrella.  The rain came at all angles and my makeshift cover soon began dripping big fat raindrops.  

I could feel my own raindrops forming, coming dangerously close to spilling over onto my cheeks.  It seemed like the cherry on top to an already tough week.  But then I stopped and looked around and laughed to myself.  I realized it can always be worse and that grumbling about my week does absolutely nothing.  What we have control over in this life is limited and the forces of nature generally win.  Its how we prepare and react to situations that will always be the most important. Perspective is a beautiful thing.

I stood there until the rain lightened up, finding that I felt a little more at peace.  Within less than 10 minutes the sun was out and the ground was steaming. I hurried back and ran into the Museum bathroom to look at the devastation that was my hair and clothes. I mopped off what I could and blotted my skin dry.  As I walked back to my office with the accompanying sounds of squashing and squishing from my shoes, I breathed heavily in, appreciating the sweet, clean smell of the rain.

    

  

1 comment:

  1. Like your last post about memories. This is another one equally as sweet. You'll remember it , not the day to day hard stuff.

    ReplyDelete