7.30.2013

Growth and Development (not the awkward kind)

In terms of my career, I have goals of where I see myself in the next few years.  But I can't get there unless I push myself out of my comfort zone.  Its hard.  I would sometimes rather sit and stay.  But how will I reach my goals?  Slowly but surely I've stretched my safety net, signing myself up for this and that, putting myself out there, and doing everything I can to expand and grow in my field.  


I was asked a few months back to be a part of a mentor program through the state's museum association.  I was excited to have the opportunity to have a mentor and build my network.  But as the conversation continued, I realized they were asking me to be a mentor in the program.  I couldn't believe it!  I was so very honored to have the opportunity to share what I've learned with others, especially when I realized many of the mentors chosen have been in the field for over 20 years.  And while I am still growing a lot each day and making mistakes, I have loved this chance to connect with others and help them build good foundations in collections care.

Today a workshop was held for the program and I was asked to present on the topic of collections care.  While I have generally gotten used to presentations, having the opportunity to speak at several conferences over the years and not to mention all of the daily meetings, I still get very very nervous and always have doubt in my mind that maybe they made a mistake asking me to present.  

Will this every change?  I'm not sure.  But I continue to push myself in these opportunities, to grow in my field so I can reach my goals.  At 12 years old I knew this was the path I would take and I am excited to see how far I've come.

a new skirt for work

4 comments:

  1. I am sure you did a wonderful job! You are a great mentor and role model! plus your new skirt looks fantastic!! love Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. The others may have been working for twenty years longer than you, but they didn't look as cute! :)

    ReplyDelete