7.02.2013

Tell Me About Yourself...




Over the past 3 1/2 years I have had the opportunity to conduct many interviews and sit in on countless others.  I have learned so much from this experience and often think back to my own interview that landed me my current position. 

I've seen the whole range of people, from the worst to the best, to the prepared to the not so much prepared.  Interviews are hard work, for both sides of the table.  I'm not sure if I will ever not feel a bit nervous when I sit on the interviewer side, knowing very much how it feels to be in their shoes, wondering if their life will change today.

This week I sat in on 4 interviews and it inspired me to put together a list of dos and don'ts that I myself have learned and will take away for future interviews.  Most are common sense, but you'd be surprised how common sense tends to fly out the door during an interview!

1.  Be confident, not cocky
[I want to know your experience and why you are more qualified than the next candidate, but it can be unflattering to brag and boast] 

2.  Breathe.
[Its natural to be nervous, but don't forget to breathe to help calm your voice and slow down your mouth]

3. Ask relevant questions
[When you're asked at the end, "Do you have any questions for us?" ask at least one question.  Its always hard to hear "Nope" from the interviewee.  Remember, an interview is just as valuable for you as it is for the person hiring you. But just don't bring in 2 pages full of questions (true story) ]

4.  Sometimes interviewers ask weird or confusing questions
[If this happens, its ok to ask for clarification.  Better to answer it correctly than have everyone scratching their head]

5.  Know how to describe yourself using 3 words
[I personally dislike these standard HR questions, but they make you think on your feet and be succinct in your answer.  Please just don't say "awkward" as one of your descriptive words, 'cause you just made it super awkward! (yes...another true story) ] 

6.  Do your research
[Know who, what, when, where, why.  Research the people hiring you.  Its standard for us to ask "What can you tell me about the Tribe?" and most of the time the response is "ummmm" or "not much" ]

7.  Better to be over dressed than under dressed
[This applies to both the person interviewing and being interviewed.  I've had co-workers sit in on an interview in a t-shirt and jeans and vice-versa . Dress to Impress! ]

8. Give examples
[Don't just say "yes", but give an example to help answer the question.  This helps put things into context and makes me know that you are seriously considering the question]

9.  Practice your handshake
[While this is learned in Interviewing 101, I'm always amazed at how many limp handshakes I receive.  Again, be confident!]

10.  Smile
[Don't be afraid to look like you're having an ok time (even if you are secretly about to throw up) ]
  
:)

2 comments:

  1. Good advice. I'm not sure if I have a job that I have to apply for soon, but your suggestions are great points for daily life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a good post. I used to be a recruiter and its so true that most people are just clueless about interviewing.

    ReplyDelete