7.14.2013

i live my daydreams in music

Albert Einstein 

I think I will always consider myself a musician and although my fingertips do not get in the practice they used to, I sit down every once and awhile to practice my old repertoire of Schubert and Rachmoninoff on the piano.  I was never athletic and never brave enough or social enough to do theater.  I still get anxiety with any mention of organized sports.  But I was good at music.  There is something so soothing and wonderful about music.  It defines my moods. It makes my heart swell.

Classical. Jazz. Singer Songwriter. Oldies.  You name it, I probably love it.

When I started college I had a lot of "growing up" to do when it came to music.  I felt as if I had been living under a rock and found myself pretending to know who all the cool bands were so I didn't feel like such a loser.  My friends knew the best radio stations and invited me to all the best concerts.  They had all grown up watching MTV and VH1 and introduced me to a whole new world of music.  They would blast their loud pop anthems up and down the dorm halls and mini dance parties always ensued.  And while I loved this new music, and still do (I can just see my husband cringing at some of my ipod playlists), I would secretly still listen to my stack of classical CDs I'd brought from home, not wanting my super cool sorority roommate to think I was one of those weirdoes (you know the ones--- mumbles to herself, does math for fun, stuffed animals on the bed (: ---).

It was Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, and Chopin who kept me company as I drifted off to sleep.  Mozart and Debussy who helped me study.  And Liszt who launched my daydreams.

Looking back though, I wouldn't wish it any other way.  I'm glad that my parents let us explore the geniuses who could capture a million colors and emotions in one crescendo.  My junior high and high school days were spent playing in the orchestra, practicing and perfecting beautiful music.  I fondly remember the many many years spent playing on my piano teacher's grand piano that was in her basement with the yellow and brown velvet, floral couch. I cherish the memories of my sisters and I listening to our favorite piano songs on the sleek black 5 disc CD player in the living room, following along with the sheet music on the floor and making our fingers dance through the carpet.

I am in awe of the greatness of music, no matter what the genre. It has the ability to create a perfect moment, to speak for our soul, and to bring into existence the intangible.

A favorite:

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing such great memories and your musical play list.

    ReplyDelete