2.25.2014

Spatial-sequence : or being a weirdo

I have self diagnosed myself recently with an interesting condition.

Synesthesia.  Ever heard of it?

According to research, ahem...aka wikipedia, it is a "neurologically based phenomenon in which stimulation of one sensory or cognitive pathway leads to automatic, involuntary experiences in a second sensory or cognitive pathway".  The most common form is color synesthesia where letters or numbers are perceived as intrinsically colored or even have personalities.  

Another form of synesthesia is called spatial-sequence, where numbers, months of the year, or days of the week have precise locations in space or may have a three-dimensional view.  
I'm pretty sure this is what I have.

I've tried to explain how I view numbers, years, and weeks to others and I usually get strange looks.  I never realized it had a name until a few years ago when I stumbled across synesthesia on the internet.  Researchers say that many who have synesthesia have excellent memories, trouble telling left from right and its common for them to have a poor sense of direction---umm yup that's me.  

I decided to draw out what I saw in my head.  Its not easy and even my drawings aren't perfectly what I see.  Its all in a three dimensional space but 2D will have to do for today!


I read my days right to left.  Sometimes Thursday is brown and sometimes a dark navy blue.  Sunday is more of a "glass" or clear color.

Starting at 7, I go "uphill" until I hit 11.  For some reason this range of numbers makes me happy. 11-20 are very dark. 40 and numbers after follow the same pattern of right to left

Because this is the first time that I've ever written and drawn what I see it makes me even more curious to know why I see numbers and time like this.  I do not have dyslexia so why do I read so many of my numbers "backwards"?  hmmmm...

I'm sure there are a million more studies I can read, but for now I'm kind of enjoying this small exploration into my brain :)




3 comments: