4.15.2014

+

In a few weeks I will be making a work trip up North.  There I will be meeting with a museum to transfer cultural objects back to the Tribe.  Myself and another co-worker will then be driving everything back down to Florida on a six day journey along the east coast.  Books on tape suggestions anyone?
I've been thinking a lot about the trip -- all the logistics and planning -- and realizing that I'm not really nervous about the travelling part.  I'm more apprehensive for the final leg of the trip --you see, we will be re-interring the objects back to their final resting place.
This will be my first time participating in a reburial.  I've observed it in other museums I've worked at, I've learned about it in school and I've been working with this particular project for almost 2 years.  But I've never physically participated.  I'm just not sure what it will be like or how I will feel.  I know other colleagues who have talked about their feelings of sadness along with great satisfaction of knowing objects are being returned home. I'm sure I'll feel similarly.   

The whole idea surrounding repatriation is very sad.  Its something most of us have a hard time grasping, especially when it comes to understanding the breadth of damage previous actions have caused to tribes.  I honestly can't even imagine how I would feel if my ancestors had been taken from their resting place and stuck in a museum storage room.  And then on top of the emotional and cultural struggles, to have to swim through years and years of paperwork and red tape to get everything back.  
The severity of past actions is tremendous, but slowly progress is being made and relationships are being mended back together.  A few weeks ago I met with one of the elders and medicine men of the tribe and he told me and my co-worker that he trusted us to repatriate the material. 
I walked away from the meeting feeling honored and even more nervous!
This has been a huge learning experience for not just my career but for myself and its something that I've appreciated being a part of.  Even with my most introverted self I am able to be a part of the fight for human rights and this experience will be something I take away with me forever.




1 comment:

  1. I loved your post today and how you shared your feelings both personally and professionally. It is a sacred process you're involved in. I know it will go well with all your planning and sensitive heart.

    ReplyDelete