4.06.2010

Oh the Joys of Academia

My second week of work I found out that I was going to be part of a paper being published. I was very excited to know that one day soon my name could be found in an archaeological journal. The paper is on Fort Shackelford, a mid-nineteenth century Third Seminole War Fort. Last summer, Florida Gulf Coast University students came out to attend a field school that the THPO hosted. They were trying to relocate the fort which, according to historic records, burned to the ground after the war. The federal forts built during this time were used to try and pressure the Seminoles to relocate to the West. 


**An interesting Fact: No peace treaty was every signed between the Seminole Tribe and the Government.

I was lucky enough to come on board as the analysis of the artifacts was taking place and had a hand in writing up a section for the paper. Our lab manager and I also cataloged and re-housed all of the objects that came out of the excavations. We have some great artifacts like early 19th century ammunition, a lead canister, square cut nails that date to the time period and they were able to recover ceramics that were manufactured in England and brought over to the New World.

Sneak Preview:








I know you are all just dying to read it and the suspense of what happens in the next 35 pages will keep you up at night, so I'll make sure to keep you updated!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Congrats. Another Redente published.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I publish students during writing time in little books...does that count? I should start writing on the back of the cover...Published by Jessica Wolfe Inc.

    ReplyDelete