4.17.2010

Yeehaw!

I love all kinds of music.  I am partial to quieter things like classical, jazz and singer/songwriter music.  Before I moved to Texas I never really listened to country.  My parents had a few Alabama and Garth Brooks cds, but it was never a favorite.  When I moved to Lubbock it all changed.  Actually, it had to because there was nothing else on the radio.  It slowly grew on me, listening to people sing about their baby, their mama, a boy in a Chevy truck, beer, and their hometown.  Country music tends to be on the simpler side mostly talking about love and loss.  There is something romantic about the open space, with tall grasses blowing in the wind and nothing but the big open sky.  Cowboys riding off into the sunset, sitting by the fire with just the crickets and the coyotes. 

 
I complained a lot when I lived in Texas.  Well, a lot may be an understatement.  But now it seems all those bad memories of dust and dirt have blown away and all that is left is an ideal picture of the ol' west.  So now I sit and listen to my country and dreaming of the west, while my neighbors blasts their Haitian rap.  

Lubbock

Some of my favorite lyrics from the Dixie Chicks:

I wanna sleep on the hard ground
In the comfort of your arms
On a pillow of bluebonnets
In a blanket made of stars

I wanna be the only one
For miles and miles
Except for maybe you
And your simple smile


Cowboy take me away
Fly this girl as high as you can
Into the wild blue
Set me free oh I pray
Closer to heaven above and
Closer to you closer to you

Texas Plains

2 comments: