10.12.2010

A trip out to the SWAMP

On Friday my mom came out to see where I've been hiding for the past year.  Our drive out exposed her to the vast Everglades and we got to see a nice sunrise and a lot of lovely birds.  

 Canal along Snake Road

 Big Cypress Reservation

I was a little nervous for her to meet everyone I work with.  I talk about it ALL the time, but its always different to see it in person. 

I took her on a personal tour of my office (the glamorous double-wide trailer) and all around to meet my co-workers.  Everyone was very excited to meet "Kate's Mom".

On the boardwalk

Some of the Museum staff took my mom through their collection area.  Then I took her to see my area and impressed her with the archaeological collections.

 Part of a Mammoth tooth

 Lithic from the Archaic Period--ooooh ahhh

Afterward my mom walked around the museum and then we had lunch by the Chickees.  After lunch was Billy Swamp Safari where were off to have an airboat ride through the Reservation.


The boardwalk: do you hear the cicadas?

Billy Swamp:
 
 Baby Alligators

 We got to see all kinds of neat wildlife on our airboat ride.  It was a lot of fun! 

Next stop: Naples (not to be confused with Italy...)


2 comments: