10.23.2010

Virgin River

I visited my aunt (my dad's older sister) awhile ago.  She lives just north of me on the East Coast.  She loves to read and so when I left she handed over an entire library of books she didn't want anymore.  I was excited about the new reading ventures!  I started with a series (the first 7 books) all about this little town called Virgin River in the Redwoods of California.  Sounds quaint.

As I started reading, I began feeling embarassed.  This series was not some sort of profound literature.  They were ROMANCE NOVELS!! For some reason, none of the titles in the series tipped me off (Virign river, Temptation Ridge, Whispering Rock...).

However, in my defense, the covers were these pretty paintings of this little mountain town.  No bare chested Fabio with his hair blowing in the wind.


I am even more embarrassed to say that I read every single book and I just found out there are more in the series!  I may have to secretly go to the library to check them out.

They are all the same.  Each one with a man and women who fall madly in love, but first have to fight what they're feeling and not think they will ever be good enough for each other.  All the women are perfect and beautiful but have some sort of rocky pasts: murdered husband, husband who dies in Iraq, abusive husband etc, etc.  All the men are x-marines or x-army.  Strong, handsome, and struggle with some sort of mental block.  They all fall in love, have babies, and live in this perfect mountain town.

I am so addicted! I promise the next thing I read will have more depth and content.  But for now I have to find out what happens to the town drunk who is now sober and beautiful and who is too scared and stubborn to fall in love with an x-marine who has a prosthetic leg.


No comments:

Post a Comment