6.19.2013

A Servant

Linking up again this week with From One Year and Beyond:

What Have You Learned from the Unexpected and How Have You Grown as a Couple?

I've been mulling this topic over in my head for a few days and I've realized that there wasn't much "unexpected" when it came to our first year of marriage.  There have been challenging times-- merging our new expectations and roles-- and of course wonderful, blissful times--but being together for 8 years prepared us for a lot.  

Although not quite unexpected (thanks to bible school and exemplary parents), the greatest thing I have learned this first year is that when we serve each other we are the happiest.

We tend to be selfish by nature, and I am no exception.  Serving your spouse, or loved ones, neighbors, or complete strangers for that matter, usually requires a little sacrifice and commitment.  But seriously, it is one of the best natural highs!  When we argue or have rough days I look back and can usually pin point it to a single selfish act.  

This is something that has been engrained in my little brain since I can remember and still, its something that I work on daily.  

There is nothing better than a look of pure appreciation from your husband when you did something special for him, or tackled the laundry or picked up dirty dishes without being asked (yay me!), or made a life changing sacrifice because you knew it would make them happy. 

2005

While I tend to struggle with this, my husband leads me by example. He is the kind of guy who will drop everything for a friend, who would give his shirt off his back to a stranger and who will scratch my legs even when I haven't shaved in 4 whole days.  He's the kind of guy who left everything behind to move 2,000 miles just to be with me.  

Being a servant to each other has made us grow.  With growth and sacrifice comes adjustments and change, but oh how the rewards outweigh any slight discomfort.

My parents celebrated their 40th wedding anniversary last weekend while they were here visiting.  During their anniversary lunch at the Pub I asked them what advice they had.  The one thing they both said that stuck with me was

"Put each other first"

 I think they may be onto something.

2011



Post I: Introduction
Post II: Funny Moments
Post III: Hard Moments

4 comments:

  1. This is an awesome post! I am so thankful to see so many wives who never let the little unexpected life happenings bring down their marriage. You mention some wonderful, wonderful points in this post! Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and heart with all who have linked up! I hope many of the other wives will value all you have shared, just as much as I did!

    Kalyn
    www.lovelaughterhappilyeverafter.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Putting each other first is SO right! Not always easy because we're human but so very true. Cute pictures!! Yall are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes - not always easy! Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  3. so so so sweet and yes I agree serving each other is so important and putting your marriage first!

    So glad you linked up with us!

    ReplyDelete