6.17.2013

Sea of Grass


I went on a site visit the other day at work.  While most of my time is spent in the cool indoors and safety of our collection storage room, there are a few occasions where I get to step foot outside and be immersed into a much different world.

This particular visit was the closing of a large project involving many years of work.  The project has and will be an example for those all across Indian Country and although it came about because of unfortunate circumstances, it ended in a major win for the protection and preservation of the tribe's cultural resources.

The day was not ideal for a field trip.  It had been raining for 4 straight days and did not stop even once on our excursion.  I tied up my snake boots and headed out into the Glades with my co-workers.

Beautiful and unexpectedly silent.  Prehistoric alligators lined the banks and those drifting along sank slowly under the dark water.  The white birds were endless and dissolved into the veil of grey mist, interrupted only by a small, vibrant, pink cluster of roseate spoonbills.  A sea of green and gold grass, infinite with it's steady reflection across the water. 

One of the sites we visited was only accessible by airboat.  Airboat rides in the rain are...interesting! And just in case you can't see me, I'm the one who looks like Gorton's Fisherman. Fish sticks anyone?

I know that whenever my time comes to move on to other adventures, I will always look back at this time in my career as anything but ordinary!


4 comments:

  1. Too cute. At least, you were visible so the gators wouldn't think you were a meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really do have an incredible job :)

    ReplyDelete