6.20.2013

Some Things

Well its only one more day till the official start of summer and it has us all wishing it was the winter solstice instead.  The days have been oppressive with boiling heat and thick humidity.  yucky.  

Can't I just spend the days lounging on the beach, with the sea breeze tousling my salt laden hair?


past weekend trip to The Keys

I wish summers were like they used to be.  No real commitments, family vacations, relaxation for 3 whole months! But instead I guess I will trek off to work on these blistering hot days.

On my way to work this morning I got to thinking about my commute and all the things and people I see.  Being a commuter, you begin to quickly recognize the routines of others, seeing the same people at the same place every day.  For some reason this gives me great satisfaction, knowing that others have stuck to their daily routines as well.  It also lets me know if I am running late :)

I have two commutes every morning and every evening.  One to my carpool spot where my co-workers and I pick up the company truck and the second one starts as we drive for another hour to the reservation.  With so much time spent in the car, it lets me see a lot of things and a lot of people.

Here are some of the more interesting things I see on my commute that consequently have become part of my very own routine:

1.  A man in a GIANT truck with wheels at least 10 feet in diameter (only a slight exaggeration...) likes to avoid going through his neighborhood streets to get to the main road.  Instead he enjoys plowing through a common lawn space to get to the road.  I usually pass him as he patiently waits on the grass to merge with traffic.  Lets just hope some pedestrian doesn't think they have the right of way on the sidewalk.  I mean, thats what sidewalks were made for: lazy truck drivers.

2.  An elderly lady taking her early morning walk with her matching exercise outfit.

3.   Now that school is out, the bus stops stand empty.  But during the school year the middle school kids huddled in their clicks, waiting for the big giant school bus.  Without fail, there was always one kid running down the sidewalk so he wouldn't miss the bus.  This particular school bus became my enemy if I was running 5 minutes late.  Red blinking lights and stop sign...I despise you.

4.  On my way home I pass a kid who holds (term used loosely) an "Electronic Cigarette" sign for a nearby business.  He has a folding chair and sits on the median, usually with his phone in one hand and the other hand limply holding the sign.  Is this really the best advertisement tactic?  I think not.  But maybe he has the right idea because the people dressed up as the Statue of Liberty waving energetically at you is super uncomfortable.  "heeeey..." (insert awkward wave if you accidentally make eye contact)

5.  The grey hyundai on I-75 that has yet to fix the rubber lining on their driver's side window.  Its been half way detached for almost 8 months now and It flaps violently in the wind as the car zips down the highway.  My co-workers and I are planning on staging an intervention where one of us leans out the passenger side window as we pass the hyundai at 75 mi/hr, grabbing onto the rubber strip, and ripping it off the window.  Problem fixed.  Your welcome.

I wonder whose routine I have become a part of?

:)


2 comments:

  1. haha so funny! I love number five the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to start paying closer attention. Great observations.

    ReplyDelete