6.01.2013

Fub-leh-che-chobee


The Seminoles call it the season of fub-le-che-chobee, or Big Wind.  

Today marks the official opening of hurricane season, which always leaves a nice anxious feeling in the pit of my stomach.  We have been extremely fortunate these past 3 1/2 years to only experience a few tropical storms (knock on wood).  There have been some close encounters where a day or so out the hurricane is heading straight for our coast, but each time it has taken a detour.  Everyone says that Florida is bound for a major hurricane soon, that it has been too long and that we may have run out of luck.  It makes the knots tie tighter in my stomach.  I've seen the devastation and the loss that can occur.  The screaming wind and angry rain.  

The good news is that hurricane season only lasts 6 months out of the year!
I will begin my daily checks of the national hurricane center's website, keeping a close eye on those storms building off the coast of Africa and out in the Gulf.

This weekend I think I will work on my hurricane kit, getting it back into tip top shape.  It appears rather empty and I suspect that someone, who shall remain nameless, has been secretly eating all of the food...


They recommend having provisions for two weeks!  Its important to keep in mind that there is usually no water, no electricity, and no gas.

Our kit usually contains the following:

a lot of canned goods (which can be eaten cold or hot)
dried fruit
peanut butter
canned tuna/chicken
protein/granola bars
   a mini charcoal grill
flashlights
candles and matches
duct tape
plastic cups
Gallon jugs of water
hand sanitizer
can opener
copy of car and renters insurance policies
list of phone numbers
cash (no electricity=no debit or credit cards)


Our new place has hurricane shutters so it helps ease some of my concerns.

They're not the prettiest ones, but they will do.

 Being 10 miles from the beach means we are not in a mandatory evacuation area, but Bobby and I have agreed that anything higher than a Category 3 and we will be taking a speedy trip up north.


Here's to a quiet season.

No comments:

Post a Comment