6.25.2013

The Lovers, the Dreamers, and Me



Bobby and I first went out on a date on a Friday evening.  Saturday I sat in my apartment with butterflies in my stomach and phone in my hand.  I think I dialed his number 100 times before actually letting it ring through.  Who really waits 3 days to for a guy you like to call them after a first date?  Not me!  I think this was foreshadowing things to come
:)

I practiced what I should say to my mirror.
"Hi this is Kate"
I smiled to myself. Proud that I had come up with something so inspiring and perfect! 

When we finally spoke, he quickly let me know he had had a wonderful time the night before.  
"Me too"

I asked him if he would like to come over the next day to hang out and of course he said yes!  He got to my apartment sometime in the early afternoon, and for some reason that I can't remember now, he had his guitar with him.  We talked for a long time about everything.  We realized at some point we were starving and headed out to Noodles and Company (best mac and cheese ever). We brought back our food and decided to watch a movie, the Incredibles to be exact (I think this was the only non chick flick I owned) on the uncomfortable pre-furnished apartment couch.  We talked until 2am before I realized I had to get up in six hours for class.

 Sometime during the late afternoon, as we sat on my bedroom floor chatting about this and that, I  asked him if he would play me something on his guitar.  He had a bunch of sheet music in the case and I rifled through it all, looking for something I might recognize.  
Then I found it.
The Rainbow Connection.

Oh how I loved that song and remembered it fondly from the Muppet Movie. I asked him to play it for me. He obliged and told me he would not only play it for me, but also sing the lyrics.  I smiled, but secretly I was worried that maybe he was one of those people who thought he could sing but really couldn't.  I started to get embarrassed, wondering what I would say at the end if he actually sounded like Kermit the Frog.  He began to play and my worries quickly dissolved as I listened to my husband's wonderful voice. I sat there on my sun speckled carpet, leaning against my bed and soaked in the lovely lyrics.
   
Boy serenades Girl.  Girl falls in Love.

Driving down A1A in the Keys

Rainbow Connection
Why are there so many songs about rainbows
and what's on the other side?
Rainbows are visions, but only illusions,
and rainbows have nothing to hide.
So we've been told and some choose to believe it.
I know they're wrong, wait and see.
Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection.
The lovers, the dreamers and me.

Who said that every wish would be heard
and answered when wished on the morning star?
Somebody thought of that and someone believed it.
Look what it's done so far.
What's so amazing that keeps us star gazing
and what do we think we might see?
Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection.
The lovers, the dreamers and me.

All of us under its spell. We know that it's probably magic.

Have you been half asleep and have you heard voices?
I've heard them calling my name.
Is this the sweet sound that called the young sailors.
The voice might be one and the same.
I've heard it too many times to ignore it.
It's something that I'm supposed to be.
Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection.
The lovers, the dreamers and me. 

1 comment: